Tuesday, August 11, 2009

8-10-09 Mediport Installation

We had to be at the hospital at 10 a.m. for surgery at 11:30 yesterday. It would have all gone a lot smoother if I had remembered to complete the online health history questionnaire that they told me to do. . . really scary. I haven't had an ounce of chemo and the brain is already scrambled. Of course, David did say NUMEROUS times that there was no need to do a brain scan because I didn't have a brain. That may have been truer that I thought!

Forms completed, an angel named Becky came to get me to get dressed and prepped for the surgery. She is probably about our age. She walked me to the prep area ( I lovingly call it the "cattle holding pen") and told me that she a French courtier glamour gown and some brand new red velvet shoes that were all the rage. Everything she did was caring, upbeat and confidence inspiring. After she got my IV going, she asked if I would like a margarita or strawberry daiquiri. I laughed and Becky told me that she was Baptist and wouldn't know how to make one of those drinks. I told her that we are Baptist, too. So we talked about church for a while. Becky brought me 2 pills for relaxation and stomach settling and about 2 tablespoons of water. She had the saline bag going to plump me up before surgery and went to get David.

Dr. Laidley & Cheryl her RN came be to see us to see if we had any questions. Dr. Laidley was as cute as could be in her long blue skinny doctor's uniform.

There was a man across the room from me behind one of the curtains. He was young and was in to get a rotator cuff surgery. From the time I got in the holding pen, he as asking for his Diet Coke. The second time he asked, I yelled across the room behind our 2 curtains and said, "They won't give you a Diet Coke but maybe they will give you a Sonic strawberry milkshake." He said NO, that he wanted a Diet Coke. Must be an addict on the stuff.

By this time David was back with me and we were talking a little bit, well, David was talking. I was getting really loose and feeling no pain. Becky came by to see me one more time before surgery. I reached up for her hand and thanked God for her loving service and for all the people she has the opportunity to touch each day, just a quick prayer for Becky.

I woke up back in a room where I had to pass the TED test. I had a Sprite, 4 graham cracker packages, 2 saltine crackers. I asked for more Sprite and some soup. They brought me some chicken noodle soup. It was sooooooooooo good! Once I tinkled I was ready to go home. David got the car and drove me home. He made some lunch and I went to bed. and slept until about 6 p.m.

Today I have felt pretty good considering. I think this time was lots easier than last time. I know what's coming and what to expect. Friday I'll have my first chemo treatment later that afternoon. This allows me to go to work and at least work half of the day. I'm taking Abraxane & Herceptin. Herceptin has NO side effects. Abraxane is one of the poison drugs that kill both bad cells and good cells, so we'll be watching my white & red blood count again. I asked Dr. Brooks Friday about taking Emend for the sick feeling that I had the first time. He said that we wouldn't have to worry about that this time. He said that the main side effects of the Abraxane are: hair loss & low blood count.

Dr. Brooks said that when we're finished with the Abraxane, I'll probably be on Herceptin for life because my cancer is coming back with a vengeance. He's hoping that the Herceptin will keep the cancer at bay.

No comments: