Wednesday, July 22, 2009

7-22-09 Liver Biopsy

We had to be at MCD at 9:30 for registering. This was fine. Liver biopsy at 11. This was only a moving target. Once I was in the 'staging' area after completing all the paper work, we were told that the biopsy would take around 45 minutes. But after that you have to stay in the hospital for 4 hours of observation to make sure there was no bleeding/issues with the liver biopsy. We got home a little before 7 p.m. tonight.


If you followed my journey through BC before, you know how much I loved my mediport. AND HOW MUCH I MISS IT NOW!!! Yesterday had already ruined my left arm & top of the hand with them trying to get an IV going & blood sample taken. Today was no different. First was the blood sample to do the same test they did yesterday. The tech tried 3 different places before getting the samples she needed. President Obama is right about these unnecessary tests in hospitals. But I digress. Then we went to staging area for surgery.The first nurse was nice but kept digging around trying to get the needle in multiple veins. Finally she asked a male nurse to try. He tried once and got a good vein. I wanted to keep him in my pocket for future stabbings.


David got to be with me until about 1 p.m. when they rolled me to surgery, which wasn't in a surgery room. It was in a CT scan room because the radioligist doing the biopsy used the CT machine to pinpoint where to take the liver sample from. They taped a piece of light gauze looking stuff with gridlines on it to my right ribs and down to my belly so he could do the biopsy by computer rather than just stabbing & guessing, which was comforting. The nurse with me during the biopsy told me that I might feel some pressure, but if I felt ANY pain to let them know. The last thing I remember was the doctor telling me his name & the nurse telling me she was giving me the sedative through the IV. I didn't know anything until about 3 p.m. when I woke up in a day surgery holding room. David claims I talked to him and asked questions after I came out of the CT room, but I don't believe him.


Now that I was awake, I could have something to eat & drink! My tummy was growling loud enough for the nurses to hear it since I hadn't eaten anything since 7 p.m. last night. I was given Sprite & graham crackers. It was heavenly. We asked for 2 more helpings of coke & crackers.


They had me on my ride side with a very uncomfortable towel rolled up against the little incision place for the biopsy. I complained about wanting to lie on my back, but it didn't get me very far. Finally the magic hour came though where they removed the towel & it felt so much better.


Where my liver wasn't noticeable yesterday (until Dr. Brooks poked on it), it is noticeable now. That little catch I had felt before is now a bigger catch! I can't even take Sandy for his walks for the next 3 days, as they don't want me to bust something open at the biopsy location.


Do we know more than we did? Nope. Hopefully Dr. Brooks will get the results by Friday and let us know what his game plan is. We are so appreciative of family & friends who are praying for us. Keep up the good work!

This will be my communication line through the treatment this time, so if you are interested in my happenings, please save my blog to your favorites & save it to "Follow" this blog:

http://vlsdrs.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Amy Tagle said...

My heart broke for you when I heard the news. Romeo and I will be praying for you. We Love you.

Tommy Swaringen said...

Hey SIS,

If you know me, you'll understand when I say "I don't really know what to say". I'm not much of a conversationalist, but don't take my silence as a sign that I don't care. I have been asking myself and God all day "WHY". I guess my favorite verses is Jer. 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and I will tell you great and mighty things which you have not known."

I know you have done this before and I am sure you can again, I was just hoping that neither you or Peggy would have to go through the ordeal again.

Be sure you and David are in our thoughts and prayers.

Son