Thursday, July 16, 2009

How NOT To Be a Good Volunteer

Tuesday I went over to Medical City to meet my R2R (Reach to Recovery) mentor. I was so proud of myself, wearing my new decorated smock with badges, round buttons, pins and my ID card. I smiled and greeted everyone I saw there. People actually look at you differently---no people actually LOOK at you with that smock on---which says a lot for the volunteers there at MCD. When my tour was finished, Sherry went back to the Cancer Resource Center there in the main foyer and I went to visit our friend, Andrea, on the 12th floor.

As I walked over to the elevators, a man LOOKED at me and I smiled at him---and he asked me where the cafeteria is. I was so proud that Sherry had just walked me past the cafeteria. So I dutifully stood there firmly planted and TOLD him with some great gestures where the cafeteria was. He thanked me and we parted ways.

I visited Andrea and went to the car. When I started the car, it dawned on me that I had failed my first opportunity as a volunteer because I didn't TAKE HIM TO THE CAFETERIA. Sure blew a hole in my balloon. The Medical City Patient Promise starts off with: "We commit to providing high-quality care, personal attention and to anticipating and meeting your individual needs." My old customer service skills have slacked since I'm sitting at a desk now. But there is tomorrow!

No comments: