Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Birthday---My Driver's License

I'm having a birthday on Thursday. I'll be 55. I got a post card from the friendly Texas DPS telling me that I have to go in to a licensing place this year to get a renewal. Great. So today I took off before lunch to go to the nearest DPS place. I was there over 2 hours, just waiting. Just waiting with bodies with B.O., with screaming kids, with parents screaming at their screaming kids telling them to "shut up", with the dregs of society. Just made me want to bathe before going back to work.

I spent all that time, and was finally called by their automated numbering system "Now serving number A142 at counter 1." When I got there, they were serving number A117. I swear they get their help from the same place as the USPS. But I digress.

Finally, I get up to the counter. The lady asks for my social security number. I tell it to her. She informs me that someone else has that SSN and that she'll need to see my SSN card. It's at home. She then tells me that I'll have to come back, loaded with my SSN card, my birth certificate and with my marriage license to "prove" who I am. She said that they will 'flag' the other person's info that it has the wrong SSN on their profile. So I have to go back in the morning and get a lesson in humility, loaded with my proof. This just started this year apparently.

No comments: