Friday, January 4, 2008

Friends From Afar

I actually sent out Christmas cards this year! They were mailed on Christmas Eve, but they were mailed. I felt like that was a real accomplishment over Christmas 2006, which basically didn't exist for us. For people who aren't on my email distribution list I included a summary of what we've done this past year.

We have kept in touch with many of the dear people we loved while David served as pastor at Friendship Baptist Church in Odessa and at Calvary Baptist Church in Midland. Christmas cards went to them this year. Monday we received a heartfelt letter from Nettie Mae Jackson's son from Houston because I sent a card to Nettie Mae. He wrote to let us know that Nettie Mae had gone to be with Jesus on August 8. David & I were both in tears. She was a saint if ever there was one on earth. She was married to J.C., who died while we pastored Calvary and David performed his funeral. Nettie Mae was an awesome cook and she shared her talents with us frequently. One Sunday she said something to me after church about her making the pie from a new recipe and hoped it was OK. I asked "What pie?" Nettie Mae immediately said, "J.C.!!! Where is the pie???" He grinned and went out to the car to get OUR pie. He came back with the brown paper bag holding the treasure and told me that she hadn't made him a pie recently, so he assumed it was his. Nettie Mae could quote Bible verses to any preacher and remind him of where they were located. They were both precious people to us in the ministry.

Another precious friend sent me a note on Wednesday and a beautiful charm bracelet with all sorts of breast cancer awareness symbols and cute trinkets on it. Sharon Bishop is THE best pianist I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. It was our great blessing to have her give Tony piano lessons. We think about Sharon & Gary Bishop from Odessa many times and miss them and their families. Thank you, Sharon, for the gorgeous bracelet. Every time I wear it, I'll think about you!

You never know when you throw your line out into the water exactly what you'll catch! But whether heart ache or heart joy, it brings you closer to those you love.

No comments: