Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Good Luck, Gabe!

Moving to Dallas WAS one of the most traumatic things I've done in my life. I left a job and boss I loved, for a job I didn't like because of a boss I could not stand. Once you have to tell a boss you don't want them to cuss you out, it's pretty much over. But hard-headed as I am, I hung on out of security and fear until April of 2006 when I left Bank of America after almost 15 years of service and came to work for Unitrin Specialty Insurance.

This meant learning a whole new language about insurance and learning a new job. And breaking in a new boss. Gabriel Nill offered me the position as Agent Financial Services Supervisor and I accepted and assumed that role on May 8, 2006. It was the best thing I've done in years.

Since then, I haven't been cussed out once by my boss OR by customers that I'm serving. That was daily at the bank, often multiple times a day by customers. I enjoyed the challenges or learning the job and seeing the growth in others that I work alongside, and seeing changes we've made together that have made Unitrin a better place to work.

And then on October 19, 2006, my life changed when I found the breast cancer.

Gabe has been a rock through the whole thing. I've been able to talk to him about every facet of the experience and he never once said, "TMI!" He's let me cry, let me laugh, let me have my cot room when my immune system was shot, let me take naps, let me take time for treatments, let me whine, teased me about my wigs, let me coast on work my nuked-brain just couldn't think about and has been a person I was never afraid to go to and say "I have to do this. . . . . " because he has been through this with a sister-in-law who is a double-mastectomy breast cancer survivor.

And tomorrow is Gabe's last day at Unitrin Specialty. He's accepted a job with a company in Los Colinas. I wish him the best in his new job. I firmly believe that God put me where I am, at Unitrin, with Gabe, for a reason. Thanks, Gabe for being there for me this past year!

No comments: