Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Left Breast Update

Dr Laidley, my breast surgeon, called me on my way home from work to ask how my Christmas was yesterday. Really, she did. But she had ulterior motives. She then told me that she had the results of the pathology report that was ran after my reconstruction surgery on December 8. She said that it showed that the tissue removed from my left breast had some "atypical" cells in it, that they were incidental, that she wasn't worried over it and didn't want me to be. Dr Laidley said that these "not normal" cells are just an indicator that I am at a higher risk for breast cancer. I said, "Well, we already knew that, didn't we?" To which she said, "Exactly." She said that this is just something to watch and be aware of, that she would start having me get MRIs on that breast as well as the mammogram on it. She told me to watch it and if I see any changes, to let her know. I already had an appt set in May for her and she didn't reschedule it.

All that said, you know how something can happen and you see the proverbial life pass before your eyes? That's kind of how it was yesterday when Dr Laidley called me. I thought, "Oh no, here we go again and I didn't even make it 2 years before it came back." All this bad stuff floods your mind. I hung up from her and called David to tell him. Just to hear his voice was my stabilizer, my kite twine pulling me back down to earth. We decided to take our mile walk with Sandy first and then eat supper so we could talk.

When I got home, Sandy met me with his usual love and excitement----and this strange thing happened. Everything was OK. His spark was infectious and I felt better instantly. Then I got to David and the hug was there to hold me. We walked and talked. By the time we got home, I was much better.

Today was a great day. I don't want the cancer back, but if it comes, it comes, and we can deal with it. But the important thing right now is: the cancer isn't back. We've been given a warning sign to watch for and watch we will. But I don't want to waste any time worrying on something that may never happen. God will carry us again through whatever comes my way. He's just good like that.

No comments: