Friday, January 11, 2008

A Cure for the Common Cold



Yesterday at work I just knew I was getting sick. I was sneezing, coughing, felt sluggish, my voice was gravelly. You know, I could have done a Nyquil commercial! It just made me mad. Here I went through everything last year going through chemo and never once got sick.


Luckily, I had an appointment to see Dr. Brooks, my oncologist. He asked how I was when he walked in the room. I told him that I was trying to get a cold, to which he told me that I wasn't "trying" because I already had one. He recommended Mucinex DM at 1200 mg a day and Claritin D. He said that we've had a really bad cold epidemic going around that is staying with folks for 4-5 weeks. So I picked up that stuff on the way home.


Today I am so much better than yesterday. Now the trick is, to keep taking the medicine he said, for 4-5 weeks. It will control the symptoms and let you cope and get over the cold better. And he was right. It is amazing. Make sure your medicine chest has some of this stuff inside!
Oh, and Dr. Brooks doesn't want to see me for 3 months now. He said that Dr. Hodges could probably remove my mediport when he does the implant surgery and that he will write a letter to Dr. Laidley and Dr. Hodges about that. I asked what I should be looking for as far as the cancer coming back. He said if I notice anything unusual, mark it down on the calendar. If it's still unusual in 2 weeks, call his office and come in.

No comments: