Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Way With Animals

Saturday afternoon I took the four oldest girls to the park. They had a big time playing at the Kid's Kingdom which is a really neat playground next to the park that has nice paved walking paths. It got rid of a lot of energy.

They played about 45 minutes and then I gathered them up to go walking on the path. Brynna (6 years old) walked beside me the whole way, holding my hand and sharing thoughts with me. I spoke to everyone that we met on the path and she wanted to know if I knew these people. I told her, no, that we're just being nice to each other.

We met a Lab pup when we started down the path and it just took up with Brynna. The owner had to come pick up the dog so it didn't keep following Brynna. Brynna is walking along with me then and she says, "I really have a way with animals." I agreed with her that she did, that the puppy really liked her.

Just a minute or so later, Kora was doing something that Brynna did not approve of at the front of our line of girls, so Brynna yells out, "KORA, stop that!" Kora immediately stopped doing whatever the offense was. Brynna didn't miss a step and quietly tells me with all sincerity, "I also have a way with people." It was all I could do to not just roll on the walking path.

When we got home, I shared the story with the grownups and he all had a good laugh from it. How fun it was for me to be out with those girls and enjoying their silly stories. Several times Brynna & I would cut corners on the path and would beat the other girls to the next switchback. That just thrilled all of them. Fun, fun!

No comments: