Thursday, November 29, 2007

Unigram Time

Today was the day I was dreading-----the day for my annual mammogram, well, now it's my "unigram" since they only squished my left breast today. It actually wasn't nearly as bad as it used to be BC (before cancer.) I was shocked at how little I had to lay up there on that cold little panel. Going from a 40 DD down to a 36 C certainly makes a difference!



I did get a little anxious because they kept me in the little waiting room with my gown on for over 45 minutes. It just brought back memories from the last mammogram and how that all turned out. The tech kept coming back in the room asking me more questions about my surgery and my cancer.



She finally came back in with my films and said that everything looks fine. What they were seeing was scars where Dr Hodges did the reduction on that breast. I looked at the films after she told me I could get dressed and take the films up to my breast surgeon's office. There was a huge difference in the amount of "cloudy white junk" in this film as compared to my mammogram last November of 2006. It was much easier to see areas of clear in there now.



Have you had a mammogram on the last year if you're over 40 or have cancer history in your family? Regardless of age or sex, have you done a breast self-exam within the last 30 days? Now's the time! Here's a link to a good video on the process: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/mammogram/htm/_no_50_no_0.htm

No comments: