Thursday, August 16, 2007

Trip to Rotan & Dickens for Grandmother

We left Tuesday, the 14th after my radiation treatment #9 to make the trip home. Both Kelly and Tony and their families came up fo the services for Grandmother.

The memorial service was at 10 a.m. at First Baptist Church Rotan. Vada called David & I up to the front to sit with the sons and daughters, which was touching. I had offered to sing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" since Grandmother wanted that song. It was the first time I had sang in over 9 months and I thought at first the voice wasn't going to make it, but it did enough to get through it. Another lady from Rotan sang "It is Well with my Soul" and "His Eye is on the Sparrow." Then when I went back to sit with David, that's when the tears came.

Pastor Corky Wills did a wonderful job. He used "Are you hungry?" as his theme because Grandmother had said that to Vada one night as she was sitting with her. The women of the church put out a terrific lunch for us. We all then drove to Spur.

The graveside services were at 2 p.m. at Red Mud cemetery out southwest of Spur. We had to walk through grass burrs to get to the graveside. When the service was over, we all started looking at the grave markers. David's mom and dad are just south of Grandmother and Granddad. I was looking at them, when Kelly walked up and then Tony. They didn't know that their other grandparents were buried there. It was so touching to see them both tear up. Daddy and Tommy and Peggy came to the graveside services. Mama was at home with ALL the grandkids! I asked Daddy if he had a hoe in his pickup. He did and I started cleaning up the weeds and grass around Monroe and Catherine's grave markers. Tony asked me to trade his umbrella for the hoe and he finished cleaning up around them.

Kelly and Tami left the morning of the 16th and we left that afternoon about 1:30. It was a good trip.

No comments: